Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Glass Beach


Glass Beach is an unusual tourist attraction. It began as a public dumping ground-they even threw a car in the ocean!  At first it was free, then then the city officials began charging $2.00 to dump. That didn't slow down the flow of junk so they made an ordinance limiting what could be thrown in the dump. The city finally banned any dumping. By that time, the glass had been tumbling around in the surf , making smooth, shiny stones. The tourists heard about it and a new attraction was born!


Kris, Sandi and C went looking for stones.
It's hard not to just stare out into the ocean.
They're just having a ball looking for glass.
Waving up to Grammy-they had a whole pail full of stones, but Kris says it seems a whole lot less this year. 

1 comment:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

I loved going to glass beach. I still have the jar of "jewels" I collected and every time I look at the jar brings back fun memories. And it seems like it was said when I went that it was slim pickin's, but I had a great time just the same!

What a cute little family they are becoming.