Friday, May 14, 2010

Travelogue #3 Susanville

The trip from Tahoe to Reno was stormy-rain, snow, sleet-but Jack handled it all very well. There were warnings on the pass re: high winds but we made it! We took a few days to refresh and regroup. Mostly, I needed to get some attention to my knee. After many, many hoops I landed in the ER of Renown Hospital where the ER doc was willing to inject me-this had never been done before in the ER! Anyway, I'm on the mend and to keep the pressure off I gave in and bought a walker with the seat attached. At least I can keep up with Jack (a little bit better) and my endurance is tripled. So, enough of Reno and on to Susanville.
I think most of you know we planned to follow 395 up through CA. Well, I have a dear friend here in Susanville that I hadn't seen in 15 years! Needless to say, I was really looking forward to the reunion. We had chatted briefly before we left Coarsegold, so I called her while in Reno to give her an update-she was in Reno! So, we met for dinner and I told her we'd be in Susanville Wednesday.
The ride from Reno to Susanville is beautiful...We named these the "paint by number" mountains....do you remember your first paint by number kits?
Besides the Paint by Number Mountains there were incredible cloud (angel) formations. Hello, Georgia!
This is camp Garoppo-FHU and unlimited stay! The building on the L is a huge garage that can hold two or three RVs...
This is part of the view we had at camp Garoppo
Casa De Garoppo built around 1986
I'm not sure how tall this fireplace is...maybe 15 feet...but it is all feather river stone. Babe tells me that Dick brought 40 tons of it in his truck-I wonder how many trips that was?
Babe (woman in the middle) is the hostess for the weekly sewing group. There can be 2-12 ladies show up and every kind of sewing, embroidery, knitting, crochet or just visiting happens here.
I was teased as the "young un" because I was only in my 60s......
Babe and I in our matching walkers...It's been a wonderful visit and I'm so glad we reconnected.

1 comment:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

So glad you got your knee fixed! And that walker should help you mend a bit faster, being able to rest your knee when needed. Cute picture of you and your buddy, Babe.