Thursday, September 18, 2008

A lesson in Crabbing



This was our 2nd day brunch-english muffins with crab, pesto and provolone followed by a fresh blackberry cobbler-oh! heavenly!

First, you have to have the equipment and mentors. My mentors are the Thompsons. They know I love crab and were willing to show me the ropes-actually, I didn't have to do any of the icky parts-Gary works the traps, kills the crab and Cecile cooks them. Then my job is to pick-and come up with some ideas for eating crab in many varieties. Oh, tough job! Especially the tasting part...
Gary is checking the traps-we didn't have a boat so he tried off the dock. Early morning catches were the best.
Hard to see, but he's throwing the babies/females back.
And here is the all-important job of picking.
Crab and  crackers for the first night
That's a "yum".

2 comments:

BabyMamma said...

OK, I know you like the crab but the photos just don't change my mind about not liking crab. I'm glad you had a great time and it looks like you had a bunch of fun. Can't wait to see you. Love ya.

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Oh I'm so envious! We're not going over to Winchester Bay because we can't leave here until Tuesday, and starting Wednesday it'll be raining the rest of the week in Winchester Bay. It just wasn't meant to be for us this year. You lucked out with the Thompsons sharing their catch! Way to go!