Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mendocino Memories


Aahh, back to Mendocino for the summer! I'm sorry I haven't posted in such a long time-it's partly CRS and part letting time go by so quickly, and part that my life is pretty boring and predictable. At least, that's what I think until I explain my lifestyle to new people. So, I'm back in Mendocino, CA, volunteering as a docent at the Ford House Visitor's Center. For those of you who are new to this blog, Mendocino is a small coastal town in Northern CA. It was founded by Jerome Ford when he discovered a wealth of redwoods in 1854.  After the demise of the lumber industry Mendocino virtually became a ghost town. It was "rediscovered" by the alternate lifestyle (beatniks, hippies, artists) who wanted a place away from mainstream society. It is now a popular village to tour  for a day or week or whatever. I'm here to beat the heat in Coarsegold. The temps are between 65-80 all summer-sure beats triple digits in the San Joaquin Valley! It's like a second home to me and I'm happy to return and renew old acquaintances and make new friends.  
May I help you? 
Atypical view of the Big River flowing into the Pacific. If you don't like the overcast, stick around for an hour or two-it'll change....

Welcome to the Ford House
I snuck a picture of these little rascals-they are my family! I always stop to visit for a few days on my way to Mendo and this was no exception. We're expecting baby E around mid-June so that will be a special announcement!

2 comments:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Great pictures Mendo Queen. I love the one of your family and can't wait to see "Baby E" who will be here in no time!

Gary & Cecile Thompson said...

Yeah, a blog post! The pictures bring back some fond memories and boy will I miss the campfires. Other things, I try to forget. Have fun and we will see you in a couple of weeks or so!