Friday, April 18, 2008

This Was the Week That Was

Whew! I mentioned that my new rig needed repairs and I left it at the dealer's before the cruise, giving them almost two weeks to make the repairs. They found a couple of new problems along the way, but the real, most important issue wasn't addressed. So, Cecile and I went to meet the new general manager, the maintenance manager, the service writer and any other personnell we could find, determined to resolve this. I don't have much time before I leave for the coast, and I sure didn't want to drive my rig in the condition it was in. 
Day 1-We met with the General Manager. After an hour and a half of discussions, he took the maintenance manager and the tech supervisor on a test ride. Then they called a company that does their alignments and made an appt. for the next am. We decided to stay, hoping the problem would be solved. 
Day 2-We got up early so the rig was available by 8 am, but the alignment company didn't even look at it until mid afternoon. It was 4:45 pm before I could take it on a test drive. Guess what? The problem was just as bad as before! This test drive included their quality control officer, 
the service writer, Cecile an me. It was devastating. The QC said he had seen this before on new rigs, and he recommended replacing the steering column and gear box. We (C&I) went to dinner to strategize for the next day. We thought they would try and delay by saying they couldn't get the part.
Day 3- Service writer woke us up to say she had contacted the workhorse co.: they want more tests, and if that doesn't solve the problem, a service person would come and do a test drive, but couldn't come until May. That was totally unacceptable, so we went to breakfast to strategize. In the meantime the rig went back to the alignment Co. We returned to the dealers and were told it would be mid afternoon before it gets back, so of course we went shopping! On the way back I was contacted by cell and told the rig hadn't been looked at yet and it would be closer to 4:30 before it returned. I flipped of course, and Cecile had to go home to catch up on the many chores she had. By 4 the service writer came by and said I might be happy, but I told her the best I could muster was cautious optimism. The QC came by and we had a long talk- he told me he had talked to the alignment Co. and they think they found-are you ready?- tires out of round! I drove it (at 6:00 pm) and found the difference phenominal. So, I took it home! 
Day 4- Exhausted beyond belief I was ready for a jammy day, but I was called for jury duty at Superior Court. It was a murder trial, and scheduled for at least two-three weeks. For personal reasons I couldn't do it, and they excused me! 
Day 5- My jammy day...ahhh

1 comment:

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Wait . . . no pictures??? Cecile came over yesterday and gave us a blow by blow accounting of your story. Phenomenal is a kind word . . . dang I can't believe that's what caused all the hassle . . . unbelievable the quality control officer went on the test drive when the problem had NOT been solved! Geeze, and they get a pay check for that? But after three days of persistence you have finally won the battle. Hip Hip Hooray! Your new rig is as it should have been when you took it off the lot in the first place. Good for you two, I'm so proud you're my friends!